Friday, March 4, 2011

Moroccan style veggies and naan!

This post is for Swaroopa if she's reading...

Look! I made Naan!



I also made these yummy vegetables to go over couscous in the style of the couscous houses in Paris. It was actually pretty good. I got the Ras El Hanout and Harissa (specific spices needed for the flavor) at Williams-Sonoma. The only other way to get them was to order them on-line, but I'm an instant gratification kind of girl.

I had to tweak the recipe that I found on-line seriously, for vegetarianism and to make it more authentic and my sous chef cut the veggies smaller than you get them in the restaurant :) but they still tasted great! Added a pot of mint tea to the table and complete success!

Here's the stewed veggie recipe for anyone who wants to try it:

2 cups vegetable broth
2 cups water
3 ounces tomato concentrate
5 carrots, peeled and sliced (about 1 pound)
3 round turnips, peeled and cut in 1/2 inch cubes
2 tablespoons couscous spices (Ras el hanout)
1 tablespoon Harissa (this is enough to make a very spicy dish)
2 zucchini, cut in 1/2 inch cubes
1 small can chick peas
8 cups cooked couscous

Add vegetable broth, tomato concentrate, carrots, turnips, couscous spices and the harissa.
Cover and cook on medium-low heat for 30 minutes turnips and carrots are well done.
Stir occasionally to get everything mixed together.
Add the zucchini and chick peas, cover and continue cooking until the zucchini is tender - about 8 minutes.
Prepare the couscous according to package directions.

Makes 8 servings.

Sorry, but for the naan you're going to have to buy the book "Artesian Bread in Five Minutes a Day". I'm a huge fan of their bread making technique, especially as it helped me to make naan successfully!

If you do decide to try it, let me know how you like it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's on your mind? I wanna know!