Monday, January 2, 2012

Books I read last year and reading goals for this year

  • The Little Prince - Antoine de Saint-ExupĂ©ry
  • Anthropology of an American Girl - Hilary Thayer Hamann
  • Great Expectations - Charles Dickens
  • Bottlenose Dolphins: Biology and Conservation - Reynolds, Wells, Eide
  • The Wizard of Oz - L. Frank Baum
  • Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass - Lewis Carroll
  • A Suitable Boy - Vikram Seth
  • Interview with the Vampire - Anne Rice
  • Anansi's Boys - Neil Gaiman
  • Not in Kansas Anymore: A curious tale of how magic is transforming America - Christine Wicker
  • The Crystal Cave - Mary Stewart
  • The Hollow Hills - Mary Stewart
  • The Tiger in the Well - Phillip Pullman
  • Smoke and Mirrors - Neil Gaiman
  • The Book of Dead Days - Marcus Sedgewick
  • Wicked - Gregory Maguire
  • Hunger Games - Suzanne Collins
  • Catching Fire - Suzanne Collins
  • Mockingjay - Suzanne Collins
  • Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone - J.K. Rowling
  • Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets - J.K. Rowling
  • Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban - J.K. Rowling
  • Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire - J.K. Rowling
  • Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix - JK Rowling
  • Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince - J.K. Rowling
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - J.K. Rowling
  • The Forest of Hands and Teeth - Carrie Ryan
  • The Dead-Tossed Waves - Carrie Ryan
  • The Dark and Hollow Places - Carrie Ryan
  • Going Bovine - Libba Bray
  • Melting Stones - Tamora Pierce
  • The Will of the Empress - Tamora Pierce
  • The Good Earth - Pearl S. Buck
  • The Game of Thrones - George R. R. Martin
  • A Clash of Kings - George R.R. Martin
  • A Storm of Swords - George R.R. Martin
  • A Feast for Crows - George R.R. Martin
  • Mountain Spirit: The Sheepeater Indians of Yellowstone - Lawrence L. Loendorf & Nancy Medaris Stone
  • Watership Down - Richard Adams
  • Wildwood - Colin Meloy
  • Feng Shui Step By Step by T. Raphael Simons
  • Howl's Moving Castle - Diana Wynn Jones
I read a lot last year. I have so much more to read, too. This year I'm hoping to read a lot more new books... I have stacks at home and goals... one of them is to read more non-fiction. I have a couple books by feminist authors on tap, a book about the history of Kauai, a book about the politics of the conservation of wolves, and a couple of liberal political books (George Carlin and Michael Moore) that I'm hoping to get through. I also want to read Atlas Shrugged... and Ulysses. We'll see if I can manage those...  I'm planning to keep a running list again, at home on my kitchen cabinet and here on the blog for others to see :)

7 comments:

  1. I'm curious about your thoughts on Howl's Moving Castle. Did you prefer the book or the movie? I really like different elements from each (i.e. the imagery and drama of the movie, the character development and humor of the book...), so I'm torn.

    In terms of non-fiction books, I just finished Nothing to Envy (about life in North Korea) which was very good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Lauren - I think overall I preferred the movie... the story comes off a little more whimsical and has a better framework (the war). I do like Wynn's portrayal of the characters a little better in the book. I like the sisters and the stepmother much better in the book than in the movie, although the Witch of the Waste is more sympathetic in the movie... it's really interesting how different the two are.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that's an impressive list of books! What was your favorite from the list?

    I'm on A Dance with Dragons now, eeee! It's already stressing me out that there isn't a sixth book waiting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Leslie - I need to get that one... I was waiting until it came out in paperback. Sigh...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, also @Leslie, Of course I love the Harry Potter books... but I also really like the Mary Stewart books a LOT. Those are re-reads, though. In the category of new books read, I think Going Bovine, by Libba Bray, was my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, that's a lot of books! Congrats! Last year, (I regret to say) I didn't read very much. Good luck with your goals this year!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow that's a big list! I read 32 last year which was below my goal but I always have this year to try again. Check out goodreads.com, it's a great way to keep track of your books and see what others have read.

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind? I wanna know!